The secret to glowing & healthy skin is knowing the type of products that your skin needs. By knowing your skin type, you can select the right skincare products catered to your needs. Every person’s skin is unique, but there are a few common characteristics. Dry, oily & combination are the three main types of skin.
You can try out some simple tests at home to identify your skin type, they are –
The Bare Face Method
- Cleanse your face with a gentle face cleanser and pat dry your face.
- Do not apply anything on your skin for 30 minutes
- After 30 minutes observe your face for any oiliness or shine
- After another 30 minutes, check if your skin feels dry, especially when you smile or make facial expressions. If your skin feels tight and firm, you might have dry skin.
- However, if your nose and forehead appear oily and cheeks are dry, you have combination skin.
- If your entire face feels oily or greasy, you might have oily skin
The Blotting Paper Method
This is a much faster method to know your skin type. However, it may need some attempts before you could determine your skin type.
- Dab a blotting paper on different parts of your face
- Hold the paper against light to determine the amount of oil that is visible
- If the sheet has very little or no oil at all, then you might have dry skin
- If the blotting paper feels greasy and oily then you have oily skin
- If the blotting paper seems to have oil from your nose, chin, or forehead, then the chances are that you have combination skin.
Excess oil production can act as a magnet for environmental dirt, dust & pollution leading to clogged pores. On the brighter side, oily skin looks younger and plumper because of the natural moisture in the skin. Thus, oily skin is less susceptible to wrinkles.
A gentle exfoliator could be useful in balancing the texture and oiliness of your skin. Additionally, exfoliation will also help to clear dark spots by polishing the upper layers of the skin, revealing new skin cells. Women who have severe breakouts should consider using an exfoliator with anti-bacterial properties to boost the healing of these breakouts & prevent future breakouts.
Dry skin may feel tight and firm throughout the day with some visible flaking. Your skin may be dry because of genetics, environmental factors, lifestyle, diet, hormonal changes, or climate. Dehydration is one of the primary reasons for dry skin. Thus drinking plenty of water and avoiding caffeine and alcohol can make a significant difference in the way your skin looks and feels.
Regular exfoliation with a gentle, non-abrasive cleanser will be beneficial for stimulating skin cell turnover without stripping your skin’s natural oil. Hyaluronic acid, and glycerin, are some examples of excellent moisturizing ingredients for people with dry skin.
People with combination skin experience dry cheeks, larger pores, and oily T-zone of the face. It may need slightly different care as compared to other skin types. You can use a gentle face wash in combination with gentle exfoliation and moisturization for your skin. Ensure that you do not use heavy moisturizers. A face mask could be a cherry on the top.